You may have noticed that life has changed a bit in the past few weeks many months.
We want to sincerely thank you for trusting Hayes & Wilson PLLC with your legal matter. As you may have seen on the news or social media, our courthouses in Harris and the surrounding counties are closed to all non-emergency, in-person hearings. Additionally, non-essential personnel have been asked to stay home by the city of Houston. We are taking this seriously and have made arrangements to work both remotely and in the office.
First, here’s what we are doing:
- We are working. Although we may be working remotely at times, rest assured that your case won’t just be sitting in a pile for several weeks. If we are out of the office, we will be remotely checking voicemail and you can email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a call-back.
- We can file things in Court. Texas Courts have had e-filing as an option now for several years. It is up and running and won’t delay progress.
- The Harris County Probate Courts are holding remote hearings. We can do will dockets, heirship proceedings, and guardianship proceedings via video chat services like CourtCall and Zoom. For the time-being, we can attend hearings without stepping foot in the courthouse.
- We are still accepting your referrals! We can take new consults over the phone, by zoom, or in person.
As for closures and other restrictions, here is the bad news:
- The Courts will have smaller dockets to accommodate the extra time remote hearings take. The courts may be shuffling and rescheduling hearings. We are in constant contact with the Judges’ offices to get the information as soon as we can and pass it on to you. If you have an upcoming date, you will get a call as soon as we get confirmation and we may ask to practice the video hearing with you. As you can imagine, the courthouses are overwhelmed and they are doing their best to reach out to everyone.
- We will be using social distancing at the office to make sure that we don’t add to the potential spread of the virus. As such, much of our work will be done online and via phone calls and scanning and emailing documents with both you and other lawyers. We are set up to take credit card payments over the phone.
- For document executions, we are happy to have you into the office, which is sanitized between each client. Please remember to bring your mask.
Please understand that we are remaining calm, but we also recognize that some clients have compromised immune systems and/or are elderly, and we would hate to contribute to any possible problems for them. Please be a good steward of your fellow humans and respect these temporary conditions.
We look forward to our continued relationship and please feel free to reach out with any questions!